Ready to take the next step in your running and train for a 10k race? START 10k is a first class 10k training program for beginning to novice runners each fall. This program is geared for people who have previously run a 5k and would like to try a new distance! It is a great option for runners who have graduated from Big River’s START 5k program. We recommend being able to move (run/walk) for 40 minutes at the start of the program. This program is NOT for you if you are a veteran runner who simply wants to get faster at the 10k distance. If that description fits you, we recommend our Personal Coaching service.
Our START 10k program will provide you with experienced coaches, teammates who share similar goals, and a motivating, fun and social experience. The program starts with a walk/run progression and we gradually work our way, throughout the 10 weeks, to the goal of continuously running a 10k. Along the way important topics to help you on the path to success are discussed, coaches are there to motivate and keep you on track, and you’ll meet a great group of peers with whom to share the journey. There is no pressure here, just positive support to help you achieve your goals!
This program is FREE! So get ready to lace up your shoes and get active this fall!
COVID-19 NOTE: We will wait to determine if this program can be safely held in-person based on up-to-date health guidelines and gathering restrictions. This program begins in mid-August, and we’ll make a decision in July as to whether or not this will be a virtual or in-person program. Until then, keep running on your own. We miss you!
Structured 10-week program; mid-August to mid-October
Fall 2019 Program begins August 17
One supported group workout each Saturday at 8 am
Two locations to choose from:
– South City at Tower Grove Park
– West County at Town Square in Town & Country (intersection of Mason and Clayton Rds)
Goal race is the GO! St. Louis Halloween 10K in October,
but even if you are running a different race, you can still train with START 10k
Detailed 10k training plan designed by Big River Running
(run/walk progression with goal of continuously running 10k by the end of the program)
- Experienced Big River coaches & mentors to guide you
- Educational clinics on topics ranging from running form to race day planning
- Option to purchase an official Big River Running START 10k program shirt
- Weekly team emails to keep you informed and motivated
- Early registration discount on race entry for the GO! St. Louis Halloween 10k
- Race day support and post-race party for family and friends
Meet the Coach
We encourage anyone interested in participating in the Big River START 10K program to join us at a “meet the coach” kickoff meeting to:
Review the basics of the training plan
Meet your coaches
Understand how the START program works
Ask any questions you want
The meeting isn’t mandatory, but encouraged. Attend whichever meeting works with your schedule, even if it’s not near the location at which you plan to participate.
Meeting Time and Location
Kickoff Meetings: August 6 or 7 at 6 pm
First START 10k Training Run: August 17, 2019 at 8 am
START program registration closes: September 3, 2019
Graduation Race: GO! St. Louis Halloween 10k, Sunday, October 20 at 7 am
- “It gave me all the tools I needed to be successful in running the entire 10K. The program was absolutely awesome. The coaches were encouraging, positive, great resources, motivating, and great role models.”
- “Thank you so much! Every coach involved was so friendly and inspirational. I love the feel of the running community and felt so welcome, even as a beginner. There was definitely no intimidation – everyone was full of support and enthusiasm.”
- “10 weeks ago I could not run 1 mile consistently, I had no confidence to just put on a pair of trainers and go for a run. The coaches on this program although very experienced runners never made you feel anything less than 100% competent. The program really is set up to help so many different fitness levels accomplish their goals. I could not be more thankful for this program and the coaches. I look forward to joining them in future training sessions!”