Ready to take the next step in your running and train for a 10k race? START 10k is a first class 10k training program for beginning to novice runners each fall. This program is geared for people who have previously run a 5k and would like to try a new distance! It is a great option for runners who have graduated from Big River’s START 5k program. We recommend being able to move (run/walk) for 40 minutes at the start of the program. This program is NOT for you if you are a veteran runner who simply wants to get faster at the 10k distance. If that description fits you, we recommend our Personal Coaching service.
Our START 10k program will provide you with experienced coaches, teammates who share similar goals, and a motivating, fun and social experience. The program starts with a walk/run progression and we gradually work our way, throughout the 10 weeks, to the goal of continuously running a 10k. Along the way important topics to help you on the path to success are discussed, coaches are there to motivate and keep you on track, and you’ll meet a great group of peers with whom to share the journey. There is no pressure here, just positive support to help you achieve your goals!
This season START 10k will be a virtual program with online support. While the possibility exists for potential, optional, small, socially distanced training runs if COVID statistics in St. Louis are more favorable, we are planning to support all participants virtually throughout.
This program is FREE! So get ready to lace up your shoes and get active this fall!
Structured 10-week program; mid-September to mid-November
Fall 2020 Program begins September 12
This season START 10k will be a virtual program with online support.
– Detailed 10k training plan designed by Big River Running
(run/walk progression with goal of continuously running 10k by the end of the program)
– Individual and group mileage challenges to keep you motivated throughout the season
– Potential for optional “live” support via phone/conference call during scheduled on-your-own runs
– Potential for optional small, socially distanced training runs if COVID statistics in St. Louis are more favorable.
– Virtual or potential, small, socially distanced goal 10k in November
- Experienced Big River coaches & mentors to guide you
- Detailed training plan
- Trackable individual and group mileage challenges
- Educational clinics on topics ranging from running form to race day planning
- Weekly team emails to keep you informed and motivated
Meet the Coach
We encourage anyone interested in participating in the Big River START 10K program to join us at a “meet the coach” kickoff meeting to:
Review the basics of the training plan
Meet your coaches
Understand how the START program will work this season
Ask any questions you want
The meeting isn’t mandatory, but encouraged for interested participants or those who have signed up already.
Meeting Time and Location
Wednesday, September 9 at 7 p.m. via Zoom
Please RSVP to receive meeting link which will be sent the day before the meeting.
Kickoff Meeting: September 9 at 7p
Training begins: September 12
START program registration closes: October 3
Graduation Race: Virtual or potential for a small, socially distanced 10k on November 21
- “It gave me all the tools I needed to be successful in running the entire 10K. The program was absolutely awesome. The coaches were encouraging, positive, great resources, motivating, and great role models.”
- “Thank you so much! Every coach involved was so friendly and inspirational. I love the feel of the running community and felt so welcome, even as a beginner. There was definitely no intimidation – everyone was full of support and enthusiasm.”
- “10 weeks ago I could not run 1 mile consistently, I had no confidence to just put on a pair of trainers and go for a run. The coaches on this program although very experienced runners never made you feel anything less than 100% competent. The program really is set up to help so many different fitness levels accomplish their goals. I could not be more thankful for this program and the coaches. I look forward to joining them in future training sessions!”