Have you ever wanted to run a 5k, but didn’t know where to start? “Start Training And Racing Today” with Big River’s first class 5K training program for beginning to novice runners. This program is geared for people new to running or getting back into the routine after some time off, looking for a structured, fun and friendly entry into fitness.
The program starts slowly, using run/walk intervals, gradually working our way to the goal of continuously running a 5k. Along the way you’ll learn important information on injury prevention, nutrition, stretching, proper running form and many other topics. There is no pressure here, just positive support to help you achieve your goals!
This 10-week program takes place annually in the spring (March to May).
This program is FREE! So get ready to lace up your shoes and get active!
SPRING 2021 SEASON UPDATE
Big River is determined to support the running community with safe programming that gives us a chance to train, run and connect.
We will offer a virtual and in-person option for participants.
The season will “run” from March 13 - May 15.
Before registering, think about how you’d like to participate this season. If you plan to run on your own, select the free Virtual option. If you want the opportunity to run with a small group on Saturday mornings, select the free In-person option. For in-person runs, we will be sending out an email each week to sign up for 1 of 9 slots for each group. Thanks in advance for being flexible and understanding.
Structured 10-week program begins Saturday, March 13 at 8 am
Virtual & In-Person Options
Supported group workout each Saturday at 8 am
- Your choice of a small, in-person group run or conference call guided run
Conference call guided group workout each Wednesday at 6 pm
Locations: Various parks and trails around St. Louis (Tower Grove, Forest Park, Grant's Trail, etc)
Ferguson Twilight 5k – May 15, 2021
In-person and virtual options available.
If you can’t run this race or choose to run another race (in-person or virtually), you can still train with START.
Detailed 5k training plan designed by Big River experts
“Never running before, I knew I wanted to start but did not know how. Finding this program was exactly what I needed! Intimated at first, I showed up not knowing if I would be able to finish the program. I continued to show up every week, surprising myself during and after workout. The coaches are some of the most amazing people I have ever met! Supportive, but tough when need be, which was something I absolutely needed. I met life long friends in just 10 short weeks and I cannot wait to continue my running journey with a bunch of the amazing people I have come in contact with! Thank you Big River Running Company, coaches of the START program and to all of my fellow participants that continue to push me and supported me at each step of my journey. I love each and every one of you!” Angela
- Experienced Big River coaches & mentors to guide you
- Detailed 10-week training plan (run/walk progression with goal of continuously running 5k by the end of the program)
- In-person runs (Saturdays at 8a) - masks and social distancing required during gathering; groups will be limited to 9 runners or less; a health screening must be passed
- Conference call guided runs (Saturdays at 8a and Wednesdays at 6p)
- Educational topics ranging from injury prevention to race day planning
- Option to purchase an official Big River Running START program shirt
- Special store discounts and giveaways
- Weekly team emails to keep you informed and motivated
- Race day support (for in-person participants)
First START training day: March 13, 2021
Last day to register for START: March 31, 2021
Ferguson Twilight 5k, May 15, 2021